Diesel mechanics are responsible for maintaining and repairing vehicles and other machinery that run on diesel fuel. Typically, a specialised diesel mechanic will offer additional services such as engine rebuilds, heavy vehicle inspections, fleet management, mobile mechanic services, repairs & preventative maintenance.
More than just truck mechanics, a diesel mechanic will work with diesel engines on vehicles in the transportation, agriculture and construction industries. This includes tractors, buses, freight locomotives, cranes, excavators and many more heavy-duty vehicles and equipment that rely on diesel for its durability, efficiency and high torque output.
General servicing, maintenance & repairs
The most fundamental duty a diesel mechanic will perform is the repairs, inspection and servicing of diesel engine vehicles. This includes tasks such as:
- Diagnosis: The use of tools and diagnostic software to identify problems with the vehicle.
- Inspection: Perform thorough inspections of vital systems within the vehicle, such as the suspension, steering, brake, cooling and exhaust systems.
- Maintenance: Perform necessary preventative and regular maintenance procedures, such as oil changes, brake and clutch adjustments and don’t forget tyre & wheel alignments.
- Replace or repair: Carry out in-depth repairs, such as engine overhauls, transmission replacements.
- Welding & Fabrication Service & Repairs to Trucks & Trailers
Diesel mechanics will also be able to offer specialist fleet care services, which is the regular maintenance and servicing of a fleet of heavy commercial vehicles such as trucks trailers & buses. Fleet management is important as it ensures that all vehicles in a fleet are being used efficiently, safely and are well maintained to improve the productivity of its company.
24-hour mobile mechanic
Specialist diesel mechanics will also have fully equipped breakdown vehicles that can perform mobile mechanic and mobile fleet services and repairs. They will typically also have their own prime mover that is capable of picking up and delivering trailers for repairs and maintenance services
Engine rebuilds & overhauls
An engine rebuild – or overhaul – involves taking apart the engine, identifying faulty parts, replacement of those parts, cleaning the components and then rebuilding the engine. Going through a specialist diesel mechanic for this service can increase the performance, power, and longevity of your vehicle and its engine.
Typically, a diesel mechanic will perform the following tasks during an engine rebuild:
- Removal and disassembly of the engine
- Inspection of the diesel engine and its parts
- Preparation and submission of inspection reports to the customer
- Overhaul of engine parts
- Assembly of the overhauled engine
Heavy vehicle inspections
Specialist diesel mechanic workshops may also be able to perform HVIS inspections and RMS heavy vehicle inspections, allowing the workshop to issue certificates and registration checks.
- Establishing registration for vehicles not currently registered in NSW
- Renewing registration
- Adjusting of Records
- Clearing Defect Notices
Give us a call
Fleet-Pro Mechanical are your diesel mechanic specialists, providing heavy vehicle mechanical services to businesses in Sydney and the surrounding areas. Give us a call today on (02) 9731 7300 to discuss how we can best serve you.